Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Eifert to have ankle surgery
(05-25-2016, 08:45 PM)PV Bengal Wrote: From what I read on another site, Eifert is having surgery to "correct a loose ligament" in his ankle.

My guess is that when he sprained the ankle, the ligament stretched and never "un-stretched". 

So we're not talking about re-breaking an ankle due to a broken bone that didn't properly. 

From yet another site (the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society) ...

What is the goal of lateral ankle ligament reconstruction (ALR)?

The goal of this surgery is to restore normal stability to the ankle. This should also fix a patient’s feeling that the ankle “gives way” and any pain that is associated with an unstable ankle.

What signs indicate surgery may be needed?
Surgery is considered when you have an unstable ankle that does not respond to nonsurgical treatment. Six months of nonsurgical treatment is often recommended before surgery. A physical examination will show that the ankle is unstable, and X-rays are sometimes used to help with the diagnosis.

What happens after surgery?

You can expect to be in a splint or cast for a minimum of two weeks. It may be up to six weeks before weight can be placed on the ankle. Weight bearing is gradually advanced in a removable walking boot. An athletic ankle brace is typically used after the boot.
Ankle strengthening begins after six weeks as pain and swelling allow. This may involve formal physical therapy. Straight-line running is allowed when the ankle is strong enough for it. Sport-specific exercises can then start gradually. The total expected recovery time is between six and 12 months.

So, given the above (from the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society), I would expect Eifert to start the season on PUP.

Stop posting this crap. I'm edging closer and closer to the edge of the cliff as it is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: BREAKING: Eifert to have ankle surgery - BengalRed - 05-25-2016, 09:45 PM