Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay marriage ruling about to come down
(06-28-2015, 03:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wrong.  The debate hinges on the claim that the Supreme Court decision can not dignify same sex unions by elevating them to the same level as all other marriages, and this just is not true.  We have the term "dignify" to specifically describe the way that this Supreme Court decision gave dignity to same sex marriages.  The word "dignify" means "to give dignity", and people with an education over third grade realize that it does not apply only to god.  There are many ways that people and institutions like the Supreme Court can give dignity to other people or to same sex marriage.

Somehow Thomas tried to argue that god is the only thing that can give dignity to anything, and that just is not true.  He tried to support his position by claiming that dignity was endowed by the creator the same way as "liberty", but in fact liberty was given to the slaves by the federal government instead of god.  So his entire argument fails.

But of course you think that a crack head who died from an overdose had dignity just because she claimed she did.  I suspect you like this argument because it allows you to claim that you also have dignity.

You keep using the word dignify (because you were given the definition of dignity when you asked for it, so the word had to change). Yet Thomas didn't use it in his dissent and I do not think Kennedy used it in the Majority Opinion.  Given I have not read all 28 pages.

You disagree with Thomas' dissent and suggest he is an Uncle Tom because he says dignity is something not given; it is something from within. As I have said I hope you do not share this defeatist attitude with your children.

"Daddy can we have dignity"

"Not yet, we gotta wait until somebody gives it to us".

I have dignity and has instilled a sense of dignity in my children. Let me know when somebody gives you yours. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gay marriage ruling about to come down - bfine32 - 06-28-2015, 03:25 AM