Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another terrorist attack in France
(07-15-2016, 04:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You might be reaching here and speaking in absolutes to try to prove a point. Would we agree that Muslim immigration is limited in Japan and those that do come must accept a high degree of assimilation?

Eh, I think the words in the article were pretty clear. It was written with erroneous info to say that "...Japan is “a country without Muslims”."

If your take from "...Japan is “a country without Muslims”" or "Japan is practically closed to Muslims" is that the author wasn't saying Japan is a country that excludes Muslims, then I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise.

But to your question, no, I wouldn't agree. As I've said in other posts, there are a lot of reasons why there are few Muslims in Japan. One of the biggest is that they allow few immigrants from anywhere. They do not accept dual citizenship. They do not accept many people who do not have some form of relative already in Japan (so, for many, you're talking about limiting it to people in Asia).

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/11/25/national/politics-diplomacy/japans-immigration-policy-rift-widens-population-decline-forces-need-foreign-workers/

Quote:But many conservative politicians, including Abe, are reluctant to ease immigration rules, particularly for unskilled foreign workers, apparently fearing social and economic tensions that could arise from the introduction of different ethnic groups.

During Tuesday’s news conference, Ishiba emphasized that wages and working conditions for non-Japanese workers should be equal to those for normal citizens.
“We shouldn’t expect foreigners to do jobs that Japanese people are reluctant to do,” Ishiba said.
“We should implement measures to remove as many obstacles as possible for foreigners working in Japan, including those related to languages and customs,” he said.

Muslims are no more or less limited than Christians, Buddhists, and others who do not speak the language or have the job qualifications necessary for employment, or the other restrictions (which, from everything I've read and people I've met, don't include anything about being Muslim).

So, no, I wouldn't agree they're restrictive about Muslims, but I would agree Japan is restrictive about all immigrants.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another terrorist attack in France - Benton - 07-15-2016, 05:09 PM