Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hillary: An Unborn Child Hours Before Delivery Has No Constitutional Rights
(08-09-2016, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But what if she does not want that option?  Why should she be forced to get an abortion she does not want just because she knows she can not raise the child without the assistance of the father?

No one is forcing her to have an abortion. There is the possibility of adoption if she is against that. I also support more financial assistance for mothers in that situation, so that would be where I differ from others that may be making this argument, so there is that.

(08-09-2016, 09:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There are always going to be unwanted pregnancies.  The burden of those should not be placed 100% on the mother.  Or even worse a woman should not bear 100% of the burden just because a guy "changes his mind" 

The system you propose would allow every single man who gets a woman pregnant, even if they both planned on and wanted the pregnancy, to just back out and not be held responsible in any way.  There is nothing fair about that at all.  Men will stop using both control and poor struggling mother (and taxpayers) will be paying for all of their children.  We can't allow men to refuse to use birth control, promise to help raise the child, and then never hold them responsible for their actions.  Women will suffer terribly under those rules.

Changing of the mind would not work for what I would be for. It would be a contractual thing.

(08-09-2016, 09:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The idea that the father has to be responsible in any way is patriarchal?  Even just his half?

What societies have been based on the idea that a father has zero responsibility for his own children?   Seems to me that the only ones who allow the father to abandon responsibility for his children are the ones who repress women.

Yes, it is patriarchal. To assume the father has to be responsible is making the assumption that the mother cannot manage it on her own. It is a patriarchal assumption.

(08-09-2016, 09:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am talking about when the father does want parental rights and the mother wants to cut him off.  Should the mother have the right to do that?

See below.

(08-09-2016, 10:06 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why are you talking about something that no one else is?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hillary: An Unborn Child Hours Before Delivery Has No Constitutional Rights - Belsnickel - 08-09-2016, 12:03 PM