Poll: Who Would You Rather Have as HC, Marv or Zim?
Marvin Lewis
Mike Zimmer
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who Ya Got: Marvin Lewis or Mike Zimmer?
(08-12-2016, 11:10 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: agree but bottom  line.. the cupboard of the Bengals when Marvin took over was not just empty but destroyed... so no doubt Marvin had less to work with than Zimmer.. but lets give credit to both of them... I rather have either really as a coach than many other coaches out there now in NFL>

Marvin inherited the following players:

Willie Anderson
Levi Jones
Richie Braham
Chad Johnson
Peter Warrick
TJ Houshmanzode (Championship!)
Justin Smith
Brian Simmons
Rudi Johnson

Not too mentioned he walked into a situation where he had the #1 overall pick, which would have been Palmer no matter who was the coach, and the 33 pick, which almost like a 2nd first rounder, which was used on Eric Steinbach.

By the start of camp, he had both Jon Kitna and Carson Palmer in stripes. 4/5th's of what became a dominant OL was gifted to him.  Probably would be hard pressed to find a single roster in the league at that time that had more future NFL talent at WR.

The point is, it's not like he inherited absolutely nothing.  Did he walk into an ideal situation?  Of course he didn't.  No coach does, or the job wouldn't be open.  But he did walk into a situation that actually came with a lot of talent, albeit undeveloped in some cases.  He walked into a situation with a franchise boasting a brand new stadium.  He was given some, and more than coaches prior, freedom with his staff.

So I'm sorry, but I think you guys greatly overstate just how bad his situation was.  Saying it wasn't just empty but destroyed is a bit much IMO.  Is it really worse than Zimmer?  That's a pretty tough call.  Is it worse than what Hue Jackson just walked into?  Doubtful.

To each their own, but I just don't think his situation was, without a doubt, worse than someone like Zimmer's.  He inherited a turd just like almost every other coach inherits a turd.  His turd polished up quickly because there was a lot of young talent already in place.  For that he deserves credit but not worship.  Guys have been gifted much worse turds.  Big turds sandwhiches covered in turd sauce, with a side of fried turds.  Ice cold turds to wash it down.  Jack Del Rio may have had to take on more turds than anyone of recent memory.  Marvin is not king of the turds.  Smirk
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who Ya Got: Marvin Lewis or Mike Zimmer? - Wes Mantooth - 08-12-2016, 11:46 PM