Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For all who wish we kept Brown over Nugent...
(08-19-2016, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Now you are just being a troll and trying to pick a fight instead of having an adult conversation.  You were heavily involved in this other thread.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Nugent-will-cost-us-at-least-1-game-this-year?page=4

where I made these comments.

Nuge is a middle of the road average kicker.   .  .

I'd like to get a consistent top 10 kicker.  .  .

I have no problem with the Bengals bringing in other kickers to compete for the job.  I would also like to have a top ten kicker.   .  .

This is what happens a lot around here. We have a player who is middle of the pack, but far from the worst in the league, and a certain group starts claiming that he has to be cut immediately. They claim that although the player is not close to the worst in the league he can easily be replaced. This is just not how the NFL works.

I am not saying that Nugent is great. I also wish we had a consistent top 10 kicker.  .  .  So I am not so much defending Nugent as I am pointing out that the extremist around here have no idea what they are talking about.

Well I apologize, because for whatever reason I never read those specific posts. Maybe I need to brush up on my critical reading skills. IDK never saw them.

How can you decide who is a top 10 kicker in the NFL without letting them play? I would love to have a top 10 kicker too, but I don't think there is any way of knowing without throwing them into the fire... somewhat the nature of the position.  

If you perused that thread, you probably noticed where I posted this

"Nugent is here for the same reason that a lot of guys stick around here, he is familiar.

You know he will make most of them, and he is clutch most of the time. Sometimes he falters... but It's not like Andy Dalton AJ Green and J. Hill haven't faltered at some point either..

We know what we have with Nugent.

It's the Tate argument. He does his job well and there isn't a definite upgrade available. Also, the coaches are familiar with them and trust them in various fashions. Coach Simmons seems to be a "If it aint broke, don't fix it." kind of coach, and Nuge is still functional."

You will also notice that I bring up his playoff prowess often. Nugent hasn't faltered in the playoffs since 2011, something that can't be said about a lot of players around here.

So we are on the same side, I just think he is on the downside of his career and thank goodness its the preseason.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: For all who wish we kept Brown over Nugent... - GreenCornBengal - 08-19-2016, 04:31 PM