Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the backup QB really matter?
(09-01-2016, 11:16 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Isn't that how Dalton's first two years were? Managed and pared down? I'm pretty sure they were. In fact, I know they were.

And I'd disagree with you. Most certainly about the 2nd season. Even in his rookie season, he connected deep with AJ Green and even Simpson quite a bit. You just didn't see that much with McCarron last year, except in the game where he threw 2 picks. If I'm wrong, feel free to point out some examples where Mac really aired it out in his 4 starts.

In his 4 starts, he averaged 6.16 YPA, which definitely helps prove my point. Heck, his yards/completion was 9.9. Anything under 11 is pretty rare, and anything under 10 almost never happens. He wasn't airing it out much. Dalton averaged a more respectable 6.59 YPA as a rookie (6.55 if you include his playoff game). He made many highlight throws that year, and averaged 11.3 yards/completion.

Also, the offense under rookie Dalton averaged 319.9 yards per game, more than 43 yards more per game on average than McCarron in his starts.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does the backup QB really matter? - Shake n Blake - 09-01-2016, 11:35 PM