Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia cop fired for not killing a man with an unloaded gun
(09-15-2016, 05:08 PM)xxlt Wrote: I didn't judge the shooters, and still won't. Even if they get their department's highest honor for conduct, I still don't see a defense for firing the other officer. 

Given that I've already said I don't know enough to make a firm decision on this guy's termination I can absolutely frame an argument for his being censured over this incident.  Basically the guy put his life on the line by not reacting to provocation with a firearm by a man the officer believed was in crisis and wanted the police to shoot him.  Essentially, the officer was gambling with his life that he was correct about the suspect.  That being said it's one thing to gamble with your own life, it is entirely another to gamble with the lives of others.  The minute the suspect put the lives of anyone other than himself in jeopardy he is obligated to respond with deadly force.  Failure to do so would be a terminatable offense.

Messages In This Thread
RE: West Virginia cop fired for not killing a man with an unloaded gun - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-15-2016, 10:02 PM