Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia cop fired for not killing a man with an unloaded gun
(09-15-2016, 10:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Given that I've already said I don't know enough to make a firm decision on this guy's termination I can absolutely frame an argument for his being censured over this incident.  Basically the guy put his life on the line by not reacting to provocation with a firearm by a man the officer believed was in crisis and wanted the police to shoot him.  Essentially, the officer was gambling with his life that he was correct about the suspect.  That being said it's one thing to gamble with your own life, it is entirely another to gamble with the lives of others.  The minute the suspect put the lives of anyone other than himself in jeopardy he is obligated to respond with deadly force.  Failure to do so would be a terminatable offense.

This is true.  It only sounds bad given the circumstances, but unfortunately as a police officer you can't risk the gun being unloaded and the potential for him to start firing wildly, thus risking an innocent being injured or killed.  I can respect the guy's actions for looking for a better solution, but at the same time understand that he has to keep in mind the entirety of the situation. 

I am sure there is something missing from his termination.... maybe he didn't like the other cops showing up and shooting the man and stated it.   That and when he was told how his actions were wrong he may have acted and responded inappropriately.  Maybe he has shown poor judgement previously and this could have been the final strike against him.  A lot could be in play here that we just don't know.

Messages In This Thread
RE: West Virginia cop fired for not killing a man with an unloaded gun - Sovereign Nation - 09-16-2016, 05:31 AM