Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pharaoh, Exodus, God, and the Meme that started an argument
(09-21-2016, 10:46 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think religious people are stupid.  Both my parents are very religious and they're both very intelligent.  They're hardly the only examples I know.  I get why people are religious, it explains what happens after you die.  The inevitability of our own demise is the most terrifying thing, so terrifying that most people cannot even bear to seriously contemplate it.  Religion is a soothing balm on that immense discomfort.  

Indeed. It helps in that way, it helps in providing a community for people that may not otherwise have one. For those that feel unloved or unwelcome it can provide a comfort knowing that something does care.

There are a number of reasons why people have faith. There are intelligent people, and idiots, that have faith, and the same goes for a lack thereof. There are kind and caring people, and assholes, with faith, and again the same goes for a lack thereof. Takes all kinds.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Pharaoh, Exodus, God, and the Meme that started an argument - Belsnickel - 09-21-2016, 11:08 AM