Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People"
(09-27-2016, 01:48 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: The end of the civil war is 1865.  Slavery had been a part of the country's founding which is roughly 1650.  So we're talking more than 200 yrs of slavery.  Then we're also talking about minorities treated as 2nd class citizens for at least another 100 yrs (1865-1965, the beginning of the civil rights movement), segregation and all that.  My parents were part of that generation.  That is not that long ago, there are people that are still alive that experienced a lot of that.  So telling them to just "get over it" is ignorant at best, insensitive at worse.

I had a whole thought out response in which I explained why I agree with you that our cultural history extends well before the 1780's, how even if we just look at 80 years, our slavery track record is atrocious compared to other nations, and about the idea of people not so much assimilating as they were annexed into the concept of "white" as a means to perpetuated the myth of racial science and white superiority. 

But twice my browser has closed in the middle of typing it. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People" - BmorePat87 - 09-28-2016, 10:26 AM