Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People"
(09-28-2016, 12:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yes, I've seen this thinking a whole bunch.  I think it's a pretty commonly held belief.  So common in fact that I'm sure it's taught in any number of universities, from all across the country.  They can't be racist for some stupid reason like they can't be racist in a society that is institutionally unfair to minorities or some bs.

It's crazy.  No matter times people simply provide the correct definition of racism it still gets repeated.  Some of what is being taught in schools today is bananas.  That's why Hofstra University had to have a sign that warned of triggers in front of a room that was showing the debate.  They even offered counseling and support for those who were hurt by what they saw.  (I mean, they're adults.  It's just a presidential debate, wtf?)

It's maddening to me that at the COLLEGIATE level, people who are technically adults are being babied to such a high degree. Guess what? The world is NOT going to give you trigger warnings. There will be very few safe spaces in the real world. Instead of coddling them, how about teaching them to handle things that upset them? You know, actually PREPARE them for the real world. What has happened to our universities? When did they stop TEACHING and started babysitting?
[Image: giphy.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People" - PhilHos - 09-28-2016, 12:54 PM