Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People"
(09-28-2016, 03:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Regardless of the usual suspect trying to paint folks as racist, ect...We cannot wipe anything clean; we just cannot hold the United States of America responsible.

My follow up question for anyone: Can we say we hate this country because slavery was here before it was a country?

I wouldn't say that, but I would say that we should hold our founding fathers responsible for everything that they did during colonial times. We can hold the US responsible for what it did after 1776. We can hold our founder fathers responsible for what they did. We can hold our early colonial and then state governments responsible for what they did. It would be silly to suggest that how the colonial governments, which turned into our state governments and sent us those who founded our first national legislative bodies, administered this area prior to 1776 isn't something we can hold against our history. It is a part of it.

I also am not one to get hung up on it, though. I'm not one to judge them with 2016 values. TJ was a great man for his time, the fact that he also owned slaves doesn't make him deplorable in my mind. However, anyone in 2016 who does would be judge differently by me. 

I can judge them for taking so long to end slavery when more than 20 other nations did it before us. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People" - BmorePat87 - 09-28-2016, 03:17 PM