Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It’s expensive to be poor
(09-29-2016, 02:33 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I've never had a minimum balance with any bank I've used over the years,  you can usually find one with a little research.  Don't get me wrong I've certainly been screwed by banks with overdraft fees when I was younger.  I've lived paycheck to paycheck, but I also didn't manage my money well either then.  It's all about finding the right bank for you.  I do admit though that I've benefited while on active duty in the military or as vet, for example, I'm not charged for money orders.  However when I signed up with chase at the time because they were offering free checking with no min requirements of balances for anyone.  It wasn't until I'd been with them for a while and needed some money orders and found out they didn't charge for vets. I didn't even have to show papers, I'd already built a good relationship with the tellers and manager, which I highly suggest, they knew I was a vet through casual conversation, and told me Chase didn't charge vets for money orders and were shocked I was in there system as a vet. They changed it then and there.  They've helped me many times when things were tight.  I guess my point is build a relationship with your banking staff, they want to help you.  Also I guess do some research (that's not directed at either of you, just to those having trouble with their banks.  Don't get me wrong there are some shady banking facilities out there.

No problems here, I'm with a Credit Union now. No minimums and when I get charged for an ATM Fee, I bring the receipt in and they reimburse me. I discovered most of those banking things when I was younger and living paycheck to paycheck. So I got very picky about who I banked with. PNC is who killed me in my youth, 5/3rd is terrible as my son has found out. You can have the minimum in there, but they still take a monthly fee from you, so once it falls below the minimum from them taking monthly fees, you get dinged again and again each month. He left the $20 (min) in there, but after 2 months it was -$35, told him to pay it, close it and I opened him one at my Credit Union.

I also find it crazy that banks will take a small % of your paycheck if you opt to cash it there and you don't have an account or your employer doesn't have an account with them. Unfortunately, it's called Greed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
It’s expensive to be poor - GMDino - 09-22-2016, 08:57 AM
RE: It’s expensive to be poor - Benton - 09-22-2016, 10:32 AM
RE: It’s expensive to be poor - xxlt - 09-28-2016, 03:33 PM
RE: It’s expensive to be poor - Mike M (the other one) - 09-29-2016, 11:58 AM