Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People"
(09-30-2016, 02:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The Civil War is always a revisionists wet dream. The slave states seceded to protect the institution of slavery. Period. The war was fought to bring the slave states back into the union, not to end slavery. Yet both sides like to revise the whole fiasco to suit their viewpoint.

The Constitution had the fugitive slave clause in the beginning. Subsequent statutory laws were passed to tighten down on free states seeking to undermine the Constitution on that regard. I get what you're saying on this part, I'm just getting into technicalities.

As to the bold, I don't know if you are giving the framers enough credit. The compromises that went into the Constitution gave the free states an edge, albeit a slight one. The problem was with how the country grew afterwards from there.

What would you argue is the edge? Because looking at population estimates before and after 3/5th slave representation, 3 of the top 5 states population wise before that compromise are Free. 3 of 5 after are slave states. An extra 312,000 in population in an area that had 1,078,000 to the North's 1,490,000. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People" - BmorePat87 - 09-30-2016, 03:12 PM