Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People"
(09-30-2016, 03:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: What would you argue is the edge? Because looking at population estimates before and after 3/5th slave representation, 3 of the top 5 states population wise before that compromise are Free. 3 of 5 after are slave states. An extra 312,000 in population in an area that had 1,078,000 to the North's 1,490,000. 

Hmm, I'll have to look at the numbers again. There was something I had read not to long ago that had the numbers and implied that 3/5ths guaranteed a slight edge to the free states in the House. I'll have to see if I can dig it up again. Of course, what you say here really doesn't dispute that because once you break it down state by state what I am stating could very well remain to be true. I'd just like to see if I can find the information again.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Would Like to Talk (Civilly) About the Generalization of "White People" - Belsnickel - 09-30-2016, 03:15 PM