Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wonder if I will develop super powers......
(10-04-2016, 07:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Oak Ridge is a city in the eastern part of Tennessee, about 25 miles (40 km) west of Knoxville

Oak Ridge was established in 1942 as a production site for the Manhattan Project—the massive American, British, and Canadian operation that developed the atomic bomb

The K-25,S-50, and Y-12 plants were each built in Oak Ridge to separate the fissile isotope uranium-235 from natural uranium, which consists almost entirely of the isotope uranium-238. The X-10 site, now the location of Oak Ridge National Laboratory, was established as a pilot plant for production of plutonium using the Graphite Reactor.

Two of the four major facilities created for the wartime bomb production are still standing today:

• Y-12, originally used for electromagnetic separation of uranium, is used for nuclear weapons processing and materials storage.
  • X-10, site of a test graphite reactor, is now the site of Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
The Department of Energy runs Oak Ridge National Laboratory, a nuclear and high-tech research establishment at the site.  It is home to the Spallation Neutron Source, a 1.4 billion dollar project completed in 2006,

Oh, That Oakridge. Gotcha.  I saw a documentary about that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wonder if I will develop super powers...... - Dill - 10-04-2016, 08:05 PM