Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not sure I want to make the playoffs
(10-21-2016, 09:18 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: No. He's not risking the potential long term injury to his mind/body playing. 

If the players under-perform, they only hurt themselves with a) playing time (which equals money) and b) respect from other coaches/players. Do you think a coach from many teams will take a guy who quit on his current coach? Depends on how good he is, but there's no way it doesn't hurt his stock. 

This was Knight's argument, not mine, for the record. But, I think he has a point and I will go ahead and defend it.

Yes the player is risking his mind and body, and you hear all the time about players in a "contract year" doing well and then production dropping after they get paid. And if production drops for one, or for all, they don't get fired, the coach does. So again, the coach is accountable for player(s) performance more than the player(s).

Hell sometimes the failing player(s) get more money. Look at the free agency market. There is always an owner willing to pay top dollar for a mediocre player. It happens literally multiple times every year. The same mediocre player who is just trying not to get hurt and costs his coach his job ends up cashing in during free agency after putting up mediocre numbers.

No justice. Look for coaches to kneel during the anthem next year as a protest. Wink
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Not sure I want to make the playoffs - xxlt - 10-21-2016, 09:59 AM