Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not sure I want to make the playoffs
(10-21-2016, 09:59 AM)xxlt Wrote: This was Knight's argument, not mine, for the record. But, I think he has a point and I will go ahead and defend it.

Yes the player is risking his mind and body, and you hear all the time about players in a "contract year" doing well and then production dropping after they get paid. And if production drops for one, or for all, they don't get fired, the coach does. So again, the coach is accountable for player(s) performance more than the player(s).

Hell sometimes the failing player(s) get more money. Look at the free agency market. There is always an owner willing to pay top dollar for a mediocre player. It happens literally multiple times every year. The same mediocre player who is just trying not to get hurt and costs his coach his job ends up cashing in during free agency after putting up mediocre numbers.

No justice. Look for coaches to kneel during the anthem next year as a protest. Wink

The coach does not have the skill and talent that the players do.  It's also a matter of revenue.  When was the last time you saw someone wearing a Marvin Lewis jersey?  How often do you think someone buys tickets thinking "man, I can't wait to see Marv clap on the sidelines"?  The players are who generate excitement and revenue for the franchise, not the coach.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Not sure I want to make the playoffs - OrlandoBengal - 10-21-2016, 11:00 AM