Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not sure I want to make the playoffs
(10-21-2016, 12:06 PM)xxlt Wrote: And there is a difference in college: the coaches there - from Bear Bryant and Adolph Rupp ca. 50 years ago to Coach K and Nick Saban today - college coaches definitely seem to have more of a following. And, maybe that was what really appealed to Knight about college - being the center of attention. Almost all his players stayed four years, but none any longer (unless redshirted) whereas a pro can spend his whole career with one franchise.

But, to your point, if it is the players who have all the talent and generate the excitement, it seems like the players who should be cut when fans are disappointed if you follow Knight's view.

You can have talented players, but if the play calling and/or scheme sucks they will not be successful.  Also, players who don't perform do get cut.  It happens all the time.

I'm not a college basketball fan and am too young to really remember Knight at Indiana, but I've read a few articles that said he liked being the boss and lording power over younger people who had little recourse.  There is a big difference in coaching 19 year old kids living off scholarship versus 25 year old men who are making $2 million a year.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Not sure I want to make the playoffs - OrlandoBengal - 10-21-2016, 12:16 PM