Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing the Public Schools k-12
(11-29-2016, 12:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Let's try a different approach to things now instead of arguing over the Politics. We have some good minds in here with different ideas, let's see if we can come up with ways to improve public education for kids.

We all know there needs to be some major overhaul done to help public inner city schools.

A lot needs to be done to help besides just overhauling the school and curriculum. But for the sake of discussion I'll go with your suggestions.

(11-29-2016, 12:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I propose that all teachers that teach a required class (English, Math, Science and History) be paid at the same level, where teachers that teach electives get slightly less, and of course the base salary is based off of tenure.

I think this happens already in most areas.

(11-29-2016, 12:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Inner city teachers would get a pay boost vs those teaching in the sub-burbs.

I've had friends get certain benefits from teaching in "bad" school districts. Like student loan relief for example.

(11-29-2016, 12:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Curriculum needs to be the same for all grade levels at all schools across the US.
I find it silly that if someone moves from 1 area to another area their kid could be behind/ahead of the other students by a significant margin. They should all be roughly taught at the same speed with the same books etc.

Isn't this what common core is suppose to do? Get everyone on the same page at the same time?

(11-29-2016, 12:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm not a huge fan of the voucher system that allows parents to move their kids from public to private, but I understand the private schools can be better run and get better results (grade wise) for their kids.

in your opinions, what other big/little things can be done to help start improving the public schools?

I went to Catholic school my entire life. They were better at hiding the bad results and removing the ones they couldn't hide. Giving parents a choice is good if the school is bad. But bad students won't last in the private schools either. Unless we go to for profit schooling. Then they'll happily take your money and results be damned.

I am currently on the Catholic school board in my area and they have received some students who get relief from tuition because the public school
they would attend is below average in their state test results. So this is already going on too.

I don't know if pushing these further would help a whole bunch or not.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - Au165 - 11-29-2016, 01:58 PM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - GMDino - 11-29-2016, 02:22 PM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - Au165 - 11-30-2016, 12:52 PM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - Au165 - 11-29-2016, 04:03 PM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - xxlt - 12-01-2016, 11:41 AM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - xxlt - 12-01-2016, 11:37 AM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - Au165 - 12-02-2016, 09:51 AM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - Au165 - 12-02-2016, 11:29 AM