Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing the Public Schools k-12
(11-29-2016, 12:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I propose that all teachers that teach a required class (English, Math, Science and History) be paid at the same level, where teachers that teach electives get slightly less, and of course the base salary is based off of tenure.

The base is already based off tenure. I'm not sure what the intended result of this proposal is, other than reduce the salaries of an already struggling field because you do not value those other content areas. 

Quote:Inner city teachers would get a pay boost vs those teaching in the sub-burbs.

That's up to the district. Teachers are probably more likely to take less pay to teach in better funded schools. 

Quote:Curriculum needs to be the same for all grade levels at all schools across the US.

I disagree. My county is really good. I like our curriculum. I don't want orders coming from what is likely to be a more partisan group possibly representing states that do not value education as much as mine telling me what I teach.

This is covered by Common Core in that there are standards that all grades across all states share, but what you teach to reach those standards is determined by your own curriculum.

Quote:I find it silly that if someone moves from 1 area to another area their kid could be behind/ahead of the other students by a significant margin. They should all be roughly taught at the same speed with the same books etc.

Covered by Common Core. I like the idea of having roughly the same things taught per level, but you can't be as controlling as a national curriculum. Common Core is the right level of oversight (just standards). There's a case to be made against tracking, but it won't go away. I want schools to have textbook choices. Add competition for publishers to make better books. 
Quote:I'm not a huge fan of the voucher system that allows parents to move their kids from public to private, but I understand the private schools can be better run and get better results (grade wise) for their kids.

Little evidence to suggest they do on average. Same with charter schools. Some are awesome and some suck. Some are average. These programs are often used by those who would already send their kids to private schools to have the government fund it. The likely future completely unqualified Sec of Education used her massive wallet to push for this in Michigan. The result is people who have no business running schools opening charter schools and failing while taking government money. Charter schools can be awesome experiments where really great and new styles of learning are tested. But when you set up a system that lets almost anyone start one, it means a TON of low performing schools that waste our money.

Quote:in your opinions, what other big/little things can be done to help start improving the public schools?

Class is starting. When it's over, I'll have my own ideas.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - Au165 - 11-29-2016, 01:58 PM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - Au165 - 11-30-2016, 12:52 PM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - BmorePat87 - 11-29-2016, 03:28 PM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - Au165 - 11-29-2016, 04:03 PM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - xxlt - 12-01-2016, 11:41 AM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - xxlt - 12-01-2016, 11:37 AM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - Au165 - 12-02-2016, 09:51 AM
RE: Fixing the Public Schools k-12 - Au165 - 12-02-2016, 11:29 AM