Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump's phone call with Taiwan president risks China's wrath
(12-04-2016, 12:32 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, cut and paste aside. Does any of that say we recognize Taiwan to be under Chinese rule? 

Odd that you ask me to explicate these communique's and agreements, get timely and accurate responses, then dismiss the results, apparently without reading them. Since you are a voter, I'll try once more.

In a nutshell: 

1) The US State Department explicitly states that the US does NOT recognize the Independence of Taiwan; This implies necessarily that Taiwan is part of the PRC. But nowhere that I am aware of does the US say this.  (I believe it cannot.)

2) But the US unofficially recognizes the government of Taiwan as representative of the people on Taiwan until it is peacefully re-intgrated with the PRC.  Should the PRC try to re-integrate it by force, the US is treaty bound to help resist. (This is not a NATO-style mutual defense treaty though, as the previous Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty had been.)

So Taiwan is under PRC sovereignty, but not under direct PRC rule. 

The PRC is far more important to our national interest than Taiwan, but because Taiwan was long the darling of anti-Communists who romanticized Chang Kai Shek, we still support its de facto independence from the mainland until such time as its people decide to peacefully reintegrate.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Donald Trump's phone call with Taiwan president risks China's wrath - Dill - 12-04-2016, 01:36 AM