Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merkel wants to ban the Burqa..
(12-06-2016, 06:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now, most of you P&R regulars are much more well educated in terms of World affairs than I.  So I ask you, what do you think of this move?

Hardly a topic I'm so torn on.

Burkas disgust me personally, they are a symbol of oppression, a symbol of distinction, a symbol of religious fundamentalism.

On the other hand... it's tough to claim you "free" women of their burden by determining what clothes they can or cannot wear. Whilst most women probably have no say when wearing a Burka, there might be the occasional one who actually wants to wear it... and her freedom to dress as she pleases would be restricted then.
We believe in freedom, we believe in personal responsibility. If we want to "free" women by banning Burkas, we just assume or acknowledge that the islamic woman, even when living in our countries, is not "responsible" and has to be protected by the law. We incapacitate them because of her beliefs, and I don't feel easy about that.
Plus, a ban might actually  be unconstitutional in many countries.

So in the end... I am against Burkas and against banning Burkas I guess.

(12-06-2016, 07:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good stuff, thanks for the opinions.  Now, let me ask another question.  Do you think this is just Merkel throwing a "bone" to the voting base of Germany, which (according to some various things that I've read) is becoming increasingly dissatisfied  with her?

Yes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Merkel wants to ban the Burqa.. - hollodero - 12-06-2016, 07:35 PM
RE: Merkel wants to ban the Burqa.. - Dill - 12-07-2016, 12:52 AM
RE: Merkel wants to ban the Burqa.. - Dill - 12-08-2016, 01:34 AM
RE: Merkel wants to ban the Burqa.. - Dill - 12-09-2016, 03:13 PM
RE: Merkel wants to ban the Burqa.. - Dill - 12-09-2016, 03:25 PM
RE: Merkel wants to ban the Burqa.. - Dill - 12-08-2016, 01:24 AM