Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russians move SRBMs to Kaliningrad
(12-16-2016, 01:45 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: They had a problem with them during the First Gulf War. It was a software glitch that affected the timing of the launch, as I recall. If the system was not periodically shut down, the timing would be off by three hundreds of a second or something like that. It doesn't seem that that would cause a serious problem. But with how fast the missiles move, that could cause them to be of by as much as 600 yards.

The Israelis figured it out and tried to tell us about it. But we didn't listen until after that war. And the fix was incredibly simple: you just turn off and restart the system periodically. 

Yes, I remember the "Iron Dome." Ineffective against scuds. Even when the missiles were hit, the warheads didn't always detonate, just fell separately and exploded on impact.

I remember one afternoon one fired accidentally. It was controlled from a site twelve miles away. The story I got was that they were going through a training exercise and procedures weren't followed. Boom. They self destructed it in mid-air, but over an area lightly populated by civilians. No one was hurt, but quite a scandal, though never in the papers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Russians move SRBMs to Kaliningrad - Dill - 12-16-2016, 04:05 AM