Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seattle and the minimum wage increase
(07-22-2015, 12:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Do you have no savings? I don't, but that's my own fault. If I lost my job tomorrow, yeah, if I had to, I'd go to Walmart or work a minimum wage job ALL THE WHILE LOOKING FOR A JOB THAT SUITS MY SKILL LEVEL. But, it'd be MY fault for not being prepared for such an eventuality.

People say this, but I doubt many have tried it.  If you are in your 30's and/or just came from a job that requires a skill set and all that jazz do you really think you'll be able to simply get a job in the minimum wage sector so easily?  I have interviewed for jobs that were beneath my resume (and I omitted a number of things that might seem too fancy) and I can assure you at least one person doing the hiring was thinking how much more qualified to do his job than him I was.

Not to mention you also point out that you have no intention of staying there, and while not wanting to work a minimum wage job forever is an admirable quality, it costs money to interview, screen, drug test, hire, and train new people so why would some assistant manager at Wal Mart want to hire someone who is going to be more qualified than everyone there, not want to stick around if he can help it, and probably used to working for organizations that don't treat employees like slaves.  Hell, I know one guy with an education that worked at Wal Mart for a short period of time and he had to convince them he thought unions would immediately destroy everything before they hired him.

I can also tell you that if I walked into a McDonald's and applied for a job using my real credentials they would probably throw me out on the basis of me probably being some sort of blacklisted sex offender and/or some social psychologist looking to covertly gather incriminating data as I worked there.

Ok, super rant over.  I just don't think minimum wage work is as accessible for a normal workforce as you do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seattle and the minimum wage increase - Nately120 - 07-22-2015, 12:28 PM