Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin only coaching to allow his son Marcus to get another year in
(12-29-2016, 01:06 PM)Benton Wrote: No.

If the scenario is Marvin Lewis at 1-8 in the playoffs, I still want Marvin Lewis gone. I wanted him gone in 2008 when two games into the season it was obvious he didn't know how to adjust. (I think it was the second game, the one with the wind where Kerry "Career Backup" Collins made it look like we didn't have a defense). Teams had seen everything we had to offer, they knew who we were and what worked/didn't work against us. And Marvin just blinked and did the same ol' stuff. It got better the next year as — at least on defense — we got some new looks with Zimmer coming on.

But I'd already made up my mind: Marvin Lewis was a crappy coach because he doesn't know how to respond when something doesn't work out as planned.

Winning one or two playoff games doesn't make any difference. I wanted him gone in 2009 when we were 1st in the AFCN as much as I wanted him gone when we were 4-12 in 2010 or 4-11-1 in 2008. He's inept, incompetent and only still a head coach because the Bengals have an insane sense of (undeserved in Marvin's case) loyalty. Even if Marvin got out of his own way next year and the Bengals went to the Super Bowl... I'd still want the guy gone.

2008 was my last year as a season ticket holder for much of what you posted here. That was when it became obvious to me that Marvin would never develop into the Forrest Gregg/Sam Wyche type of discipline/creative coach I'd like and support. Whether he possessed those qualities or not became moot, as he never seemed to get off the fence and inspire them in his team. Credit is certainly owed to him for getting the org back on its feet. 

He got the Lumina back on the road. Now we need a Ferrari to win the race.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Marvin only coaching to allow his son Marcus to get another year in - wildcats forever - 12-29-2016, 01:19 PM