Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just saw my first real life hipster
(01-02-2017, 02:10 PM)Benton Wrote: I have a friend who lived for a couple years on an island north of Seattle. Said outside the city, it was a lot more affordable, almost as cheap as living in Kentucky.

Talked to a guy at the Space Needle (he started the conversation and seemed pretty happy to have someone to talk to who wasn't Asian). He was a native, said things were good until the 90s when they had an "Asian invasion," said people from Japan, China, etc., thought Seattle was a cheap place to vacation. That kind of surprised me considering I paid $15 for what amounted to a ham sandwich at a place near the airport, and dinner at the Space Needle was a few hundred.

My parents last house which was across Puget Sound and north of Bremerton in Silverdale cost them in the $150,000s in early 90s now it goes for $450,000 and up to $500,000.

Migration of people from Seattle and surrounding burbs also increased values.

As far as Asians?  Washington and Oregon have always had a higher Asian population than most areas.

I'm sure that guy was right some about tourists but you've got to believe me there are many there anyway.

Also as much as Ohio State fans loathe the state up north, people of Washington used to feel the same way about Californians!

The technology boom also made it a hotspot for companies which employ developers from Asian countries.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just saw my first real life hipster - BengalsRocker - 01-02-2017, 03:58 PM