Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feel Any Better About The Wideout Situation?
(01-07-2017, 08:01 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Is it just me or does Core remind anyone else of Chris Henry a little bit?

He doesn't quite have Henry's length (6'5" vs. 6'3"), but I think they are similar in terms of speed.  Core also has a bit more beef on him.  I always held my breath when Henry would get tackled, but Core is a physical guy.  

The roles, however, are what I think are most similar.  If the Bengals were in three-wide, which was the Brat staple, they had Chad, TJ, and Henry on the field.  When those three were on the field together, there was not a defense that could stop them.  Henry would take the top off so TJ and Chad could work underneath, although Brat would have Chad run the occasional deep shot.  

I see Green as the Chad, Boyd as the TJ(That is high praise, but he is WAY ahead of where most Bengal rookie WRs are in year 1), and Core COULD be the Henry.  

I think a lot of folks fear it would be waste sending anyone deep because Dalton won't have time to get it there.  There are a number of things that could solve this:

1.) Go play-action on first down for your deep shots.  Stop waiting until 3rd and 10 before attempting something downfield.  That falls a lot in to the "stop playing not to lose" mentality that plagues this team.

2.) A WR like Core running a deep route early takes a safety with him as well.  This should not only help create bigger plays in the running game, but could open up the underneath for Boyd.  I would like to see Boyd become the key target underneath when looking at the matchups of who would cover AJ and Core.  Those 8 yard crossing routes and dig routes move the chains and are high-% completions.  

3.) If teams stack the LOS to stuff our running game, the fear of getting beat over the top just isn't there with Lafell.  AJ was doubled so teams didn't have to worry about it.  Core could change that complexion.

Add in to this a core (pardon the pun) of young, talented TEs and the offense could really start to roll.  Core is already here.  Add another solid option at RB, boost the offensive line (which already happened by removing Ced O) and off you go.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feel Any Better About The Wideout Situation? - SHRacerX - 01-08-2017, 11:50 AM