Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Marv 0-7 in the playoffs?
(01-18-2017, 05:25 PM)kevin Wrote: Well, lets first give Coach Lewis the credit for being the first coach since Paul Brown died and Mike Brown took over to have winning seasons. Mike Brown turned a Super Bowl team into the worst team in the NFL.  That Coach Lewis has turned the worst NFL team around to have 7 play-off seasons in 14 years is amazing. Coach Lewis has to go with almost no scouts because Mikey won't pay for them.  2005 we like to think that had Carson Palmer not been injured by Kimo Therapy as Lapham called him with the Bengals, that we would have won that game.  Steelers did go on to win Super Bowl. In 2009 we got beat back to back weeks by the the Jets, so they were just better, and we only won 4 games in 2008 and 2010.  Now 2011 many said we would not win a game, and 2012 O Line injuries started us 3-5. I think it was amazing the young rebuilt team went to back to back play-offs, but they were on the road at Houston. Houston with ex Bengal Joseph took away AJ Green and nobody else stepped up as pass catchers. 2014 we had no chance at Indy with all the injuries and no good receivers. 2015 we again played the Steelers in Cincy without our starting QB who they injured. Still, AJ McCarron hit AJ Green in the end zone for what should have been a play-off win. Burfict intercepting Big Ben should have been end of game. With seconds left, Hill fumbled and Burfict and Pacman gave Steelers 30 free yards in penalties on same play. Big Ben didn't have to win it because we fumbled and made penalties to put Steelers in game winning field goal range. This is the most stupid way to lose a game in Bengals history. I give Coach Lewis credit for being ahead with the back-up QB, but Hill, Burfict and Pacman just blew it. So then there is 2013. We had Chargers playing in Cincy. We were pretty healthy. The Chargers just out played us in our own stadium. There are no excuses. That was a game we should have won but got beat in The Jungle. So 2005, 2011, 2012, 2014 I can see why we lost. 2013, I have no idea how we lost to Chargers in The Jungle. 2015 we had the game won with seconds to go and a few players blew it. I remember thinking finally, we got that no play-off win garbage over with, and then those last seconds our team imploded and just gave them the win. I'll never know why Chargers came into our house in 2013 season and ruled over us. So, I only see 1 of the 7 as upset losses, that being at home in 2013. We had no huge injuries that I remember.

I think it's easy to say Marvin, Marvin, Marvin on Bengals not winning a play-off game since 1990. You can't blame Marvin for 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002. No, the only person here all that time was new owner Mike Brown, replacing Paul Brown who died in 1991. Mike Brown. Certainly you could not expect any coach to turn the worst NFL team around in his first seasons here. I think going to the play-offs 50 % of the time was pretty good for a coach taking over such an awful franchise. Some very key injuries and player suspensions and stars with poor attitudes turned the 2005 team back into losers in 2007, 2008, 2010. Losing Pollack to career ending injury and Thurman to career ending suspensions really hurt as did losing Irons in his first preseason game for his career. The sad story of Henry's ill fated life is he was often suspended more than on the field. TV announcers including John Madden said in most games that Chad/ Ocho was more of a distraction. Even when he went to Patriots Belichick told him he would not put up with that sideshow stuff, and Chad promised not to do it in New England. So Chad could have been more of a team leader. I still say his putting the team down after 2007 and going on every national TV station wanting traded was not a good thing. Then after all the injuries and the 2010 season, Carson demanded traded. I actually think getting rid of Carson, Ocho and TO was a good thing. AJ Green and Dalton came in here and these young guys had the focus more on winning. I liked the new rebuilt 2011 team and was glad to see some of the 2005 team take their attitudes elsewhere. I liked the 5 straight play-off seasons. I still do not know how we lost at home to the Chargers. I think Coach Lewis has did a pretty good job turning the worst team in the NFL into a team that has gone play-offs 50% of the time he has coached here. Other than the Chargers loss, we were the underdogs in the other 6 if you really look at it. I would like to see this team back in 2017, but that depends on Mike Brown and Family greatly. They have a lot of good Bengals players unsigned going into March Free Agency. If we lose those players due to the Brown Family, Coach Lewis has to rebuild yet again.

I give Marvin credit for turning the franchise around but jeeze were just gonna make an excuse for him all 14 seasons ? , give him a lifetime achievement award for turning the franchise around ? and a free coach for life pass ?. Marvin drafted Thurman and Chris Henry he knew they had character concernes before the draft if he couldn't control them then they should have been cut same with chad Johnson that's on him no excuses. He coundnt control pacman and Burfict in the playoff game and had his team captain Peko run onto the field to shove a steelers player. His captain pacman got arrested this off season as well. He can't make in game or halftime adjustments and has god awful clock management skills. The 1st Ravens game this year was hands down the worse coached game I've ever seen. Letting Tucker the best fg kicker in the league kick a field goal instead of pushing him back and accepting the penalty along with numerous other blunders calling a timeout giving the ravens time to challenge a play. Theirs no accountability what so ever players under perform for years and it takes him forever to make a move such as Ced and Nugent this year as well as Bodine. Why is Rey Maualuga still on this team ? Guy showed up to camp at 270 this season and hasnt been good in years. Mike Brown shares the blame as well but so does Marvin sure you have some unlucky breaks but from 14 years of watching him coach I know it's on him as well.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is Marv 0-7 in the playoffs? - McC - 01-18-2017, 03:26 PM
RE: Why is Marv 0-7 in the playoffs? - McC - 01-18-2017, 04:02 PM
RE: Why is Marv 0-7 in the playoffs? - lone bengal - 01-18-2017, 11:00 PM
RE: Why is Marv 0-7 in the playoffs? - McC - 01-22-2017, 05:11 PM
RE: Why is Marv 0-7 in the playoffs? - McC - 01-23-2017, 09:23 PM
RE: Why is Marv 0-7 in the playoffs? - McC - 01-24-2017, 02:27 PM