Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tyler Eifert and AJ Green had 9 TDs combined
(02-12-2017, 03:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I just don't get how we had one of the best offensive lines in the league in 2005, 2009, etc and now are awful....

My take is that it is a combination of things:

Talent-  Bodine is awful.  Ced O was worse...and both were starters for almost the entire season.  Once Ced was replaced, the offense looked better and they didn't even have AJ Green.  

Coaching- technique is part of it, but I believe a larger part was the predictability of the play call by formations.  The offense actually was producing ok with Ced and without Eifert early on (they did have red zone troubles) but teams began to notice the consistency of play calls from certain formations and teed off on the running game.  I don't care if you have Dallas's offensive line, if it is a dead give away running formation, it will get stopped more often than not.  The genius of the Dallas offense was they had threats all all levels:  the backfield, the middle (TE and slot WR) and deep (Dez).  No defense could stack the line because they had the weapons to beat you downfield and the line to hold up long enough to take some deep shots.

Scheme- The Bengals never took shots down the field to anyone but AJ.  They telegraphed their running plays with formations and personnel.  Before Gio's injury, how many times did Hill catch a pass?  How many times did Hill get hit in the backfield?  The opposition adjusted and the Bengals didn't.  

IMHO, Zampeze is as big a weakness, if not bigger, than PA.  I am hoping for huge strides in year 2.  

Well, Paul Alexander is supposed to coach up Bodine and Og so they are somewhat decent. They traded up for Bodine,
he was PA's top Center according to his own words. It starts in the trenches, that is where it all starts and as much as i
didn't care for Zamp's playcalling the QB has to have time and the Offensive Line has to open up holes in the running
game. It also doesn't help when it takes the coaches half the damn season to see the problems.

The Offense was much better when Winston was at RT and Core was added for a deep threat.

Lots of us fans were calling for this by week 4 of last season and the coaches waited till like week 11.

Whoever was in charge of this failed miserably. I don't know if this was Zampese or PA or Marv.

Probably all 3.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tyler Eifert and AJ Green had 9 TDs combined - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-12-2017, 03:37 PM