Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fredtoast take on the O-line issue
Good post.

The o-line that we had in 05 wasn't just good I think they were by far the best line Marvin has ever coached and the unsung heroes of the 05 season.

1. Levi Jones was flat out dominant and I hate how he went down to injuries.
  2. Braham was the unsung hero of the unsung heroes he sounded like a really intelligent guy on top of being a good linemen.
  3. Willie Anderson should be a Hall of Famer
  4. Steinbach was lights out when it came to pass protection
  5. Bobbie Williams was a bulldozer when it came to run blocking

I think the Bengals have fallen short when it comes to re-stocking the line on either side of the ball. Whitworth was obviously a great pick and the type of move the Bengals need to make if they aren't going to be signing big players in FA. When Whit was drafted there wasn't a need on the o-line for him really but they spent a 2nd round pick on him anyways. They have made efforts like with Ogbuehi, Fisher, Still and Thompson but it has to come full circle and those players didn't/haven't yet developed into starting players to replace those who are getting older.

I think some of the issue falls back on the Bengals loyalty and while I believe in giving players a chance to develop but they wait too long to cut the cord sometimes. While we were wasting time with Rolands, Livings and Gutcheck we could've moved on and given another player a shot to see what they can do.

I totally agree with you about Ogbuehi. It's easy to kick him while he's down but the guy has had the deck stacked against him since he was drafted. At this point it's obvious he hasn't been good enough but he's not a bust yet. Let's see what happpens now that he has his feet wet in the pros and he has a healthy off-season under his belt. If people want to be upset that we drafted a tackle in round 1 coming off of a major injury that's one thing but you still have to give Ced a fair shake.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fredtoast take on the O-line issue - CageTheBengal - 03-05-2017, 10:31 PM