Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signs that Next Year will see more talent depart
Hobspin posts a second mock draft http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Mock-9-features-sound-prospects/e5532e73-7e64-4dbc-8313-2ad3a5204bdf and in this one Hobspin has the Bengals taking TE O.J. Howard with the #9 pick.

What's most interesting is that in the previous mock Hobspin had the Bengals taking DE Derek Barnett, considered one of the top pass rushers in the draft.

In this new mock draft Barnett is still available at 9 but Hobspin has the Bengals taking TE instead.

So, my question is, what does this say about the Bengals intentions on keeping Eifert?

Draft this year to replace the star they're going to say goodbye to next year. While I have no problem with the Bengals drafting with the idea of replacing players, but lately their replacement picks haven't been nearly as good as the guys they are slated to replace. This is the first mock I've seen where OJ Howard is a top ten pick and, in fact, one can find a number of mocks with Howard going in the bottom third of the 1st round.

This is not drafting the BPA in the early rounds, but is drafting by position more to gain leverage in negotiations than for talent. The odd part is that it really doesn't give the team much leverage because other teams are going to pay the value they perceive the player is worth and the Bengals are simply removing themselves from the talks. They could have signed Zeitler last year to $9M per year and had him for the next 5 years at that price. Instead they low balled him last year and when he said no they drafted Westerman and didn't bother to offer Zeitler a deal this year.

We'll also be drafting a RB this year, so say goodbye to Hill.

Of course, we'll extend Bodine at a below market price. Just wait and see.

The result is an organization that is circling the drain.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Signs that Next Year will see more talent depart - BengalChris - 03-18-2017, 01:23 AM