Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I must be doing something right...
(03-19-2017, 01:09 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Honestly, the area is very depressed.
It was a factory town, but there are one a couple left to sustain the economy.
I intend to find ways to help people start businesses to compliment the the tourism for Roscoe.
One thing will be to apply for the red cup district permit, so we might allow people to drink wine/beer while shopping and walking place to place.
Crime and drugs have probably tripled.
There is not much entertainment to be had, apart from bowling and bands in bars.
We do have some reasonably nice wineries, as you alluded to.
Our museum is fairly decent.
It has a Rosetta Stone.
I do not hunt, but we have the largest whitetail deer here.
That is why Dale Earnhardt Jr purchased a bunch of property here, that and it's cheap.
I guess Jr hangs out at local restaurants, goes to Wal-Mart, etc..here.
I'm not a NASCAR fan, but people talk about it, like it's a selling point.
I do appreciate any money he brings to our economy though.

Let's see, what else....
Bob Brenley is from here.
Cy Young, from Newcomerstown.

Oh....our school team name is Redskins, so yeah....we get to be relevant for that bit of fun.

I guess it could be mentioned that the factory I work at produces 95% of Oscar Mayer bacon.
That's gotta be cool, right ?

I can't believe you threw culture in there.
Thanks !

We have a small theater that runs about 4 plays per year.
We have an art gallery that is predominantly local artists, but hosts traveling displays, occasionally.
We are building a new planetarium.
Does that count for anything ?
Roscoe has festivals where people dress in 1800's garb and whatnot.

Honestly, it's quite boring here.
Most people travel to larger surrounding towns, for entertainment.
We are 30-45 minutes from Zanesville, Newark, New Philadelphia, and Cambridge.

We do have a movie theater, with TWO different screens !
Only $3/person on Tuesdays. (My wife and I get in free, because we're awesome)
Ninja

Down in Kentucky they gave the Newport economy a boost with a red light district for decades. Maybe that would work better than a red cup district?

Seriously though, it sounds like so many towns throughout Appalachia and the foothills thereof. It fills me with a sense of shame that America doesn't work for so many people in so many towns like yours. And it also fills me with memories of passing through so many towns like yours and often meeting delightful people in restaurants, movie theaters, bowling alleys, and taverns. Those fond memories of good people and good times then roll right back into the shame that our country isn't working for so many... the idea that we could leave a better world for our children and grandchildren seems to be on life supports, if not to have died.

I'm excited for you that you got the invite to run for office. If you don't do it, I hope you find another way to engage "the system" for your fellow citizens. They need good people working for them. And until some come along, a deranged lunatic like you will spice up Coshocton city hall. Ninja
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I must be doing something right... - xxlt - 03-19-2017, 08:15 PM