Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sell me on turning down trading back a few slots to stay and take YOUR player at #9
(03-24-2017, 09:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I look at it as simple math:  

Is Derek Barnett > John Ross and Jordan Willis?  Or John Ross and Taylor Moton?

I think Ross has the potential to be there at mid-round.  He was always a first round talent, but moved up in a lot of people's eyes after the combine.  I don't see anyone reaching for him in the top 10.  I am not a big fan of Williams.  Way too many contested catches against guys that don't have a prayer of playing in the NFL.  Against NFL CBs, a lot of those catches might get picked off.  He reminds me so much of Treadwell that I am not interested.

Barnett is a great talent and fits this team perfectly.  If he is there, I think they will take him.  But, I look at our team and think:  What makes them better?  Barnett improving the pass rush from the RDE spot or a burner that takes the top off the defense AND getting an additional second rounder that could be a guy like Cam Robinson, or Jordan Willis, or Taylor Moton?  I don't know.  I might go with the latter.

The bottom line is:  The Bengals improve either way.  They are in a great spot and I am still hopeful that they could trade McCarron for a 2nd rounder that they could package with their 3rd rounder and move back in to the first to get a 5 year contract on a player like Robinson.

In summary, my dream:  Slide in Rd 1, get an additional 2nd rounder.  Trade AJM and get an additional 2nd rounder.  Draft Ross in Rd 1.  Trade back in to Rd 1 with a 2nd and our 3rd and get Cam Robinson.  With the two remaining 2nd rounders get Pat Elflein and Jordan Willis.  

The first two rounds would provide:  

Ross, burner WR to take advantage of match-ups opposite AJ Green.
Cam Robinson, who pushes Ced at LT.  If Ced wins the job, he becomes our RG of the future.  Our biggest weakness now has a backup plan and talent.
Jordan Willis, speed rusher that is strong enough to play every down at RDE.
Pat Elflein, guard prospect that can push Bodine to start, or be his replacement when his contract ends after the season.
Good point.
People often forget the second player we would get in a Trade Down.
Barnett will need to be a consistent 10 plus sack guy to justify him as a top 10 pick.
If Barnett is less than that the Trade Down would have likely been a better move for 2 starting caliber players instead of 1.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sell me on turning down trading back a few slots to stay and take YOUR player at #9 - depthchart - 03-24-2017, 11:32 AM