Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver
(03-22-2017, 05:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: Jones did it with a healthy Green. Lafell didn't really show up until Green was injured. Lafell is an ok piece, but he's not the missing piece at wideout Jones brought the offense. Jones opened up the middle/intermediate of the field as defenses cleared out to cover him deep.

Jones fought Green for those reception. I think that makes the numbers a little different with perspective.

I'm not claiming LaFell is the long term answer, but man do people ever overrate Marvin Jones. The guy was a borderline bust in Detroit. He was benched at one point and outplayed by a 53 year old Anquan Boldin. His hands - which have been praised - turned to stone. He struggled mightily once he started drawing #1 CBs.

LaFell offers a little less speed, but makes up for it with savvy. Fwiw, LaFell had 11 catches of 20+ yards and 4 catches of 40+ yards. In 2015, MLJ had 13 catches of 20+ yards and 4 catches of 40+ yards. Nearly identical deep production.

(03-22-2017, 07:40 PM)eoxyod Wrote: There are a couple of factors not shown here:
1. Jones has/had more long term upside, and is still much more dynamic. Posting raw stats to compare the 2 is pointless
2. LaFell has about half the talent Jones has
3. LaFell has been long term more disappointing in the league, and it's hard to say last year was much different
4. Corey Davis, if the Bengals were to get him, should be leagues ahead of other WRs we could acquire and again, is a stronger option long term
5. LaFell's deal is basically a cop out on the 2nd year. Even the Bengals are prepared to cut him next year if they get a good enough options
6. Dalton is a QB that needs about everything going right around him to be great, so giving him more works
7. Eifert is not reliable at all so scratch him out of the equation

8. Now overall WR is not the most important position in the world. You can win without great ones, but if the other talent doesn't fit the Bengals in the draft and a player like Davis is there, you pull the trigger without a 2nd thought

Some pretty harsh opinions here.

1. I wouldn't say "pointless". There's more to it than stats, but production is production. I assume by dynamic, you mean speed. I addressed that with jj22.
2. That's just being silly. Did anyone pay attention to Jones with Detroit last year? It was a total disappointment considering what they paid.
3. Calling LaFell a disappointment is a bit much. For a 3rd round pick he's produced almost 5000 yards and 26 TDs by age 30. He's only missed 8% of his career games compared to 26% for Jones. He was a key player in a championship run while Jones has yet to win a playoff game. He just produced the best season by a Bengals #2 WR since Housh.
4. Can't disagree there. 
5. LaFell will turn 31 this year. A 2 year deal with an easy out is pretty standard considering he's not a star.
6. True, but that makes him no different than any other good-not-quite-elite QB.
7. Agreed.
8. Agreed, but only if all the top options are gone.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brandon LaFell IS the Answer at Wide Receiver - Shake n Blake - 03-24-2017, 03:41 PM