Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy Idea with the Browns???
(04-11-2017, 11:56 AM)Benton Wrote: Couple thoughts.

1 — A line is strongest when it is most familiar with each other. I'd take a line of mid-tier guys who have been together 3-4 years over a line of mid-tier guys and a standout who have never played together. Not that Oogie is a better tackle than Thomas, but the overall strength of the line may be better playing with Oogie in year 3 than Thomas in year 1.

2 — Oogie will be better this year than last.

3 — At some point we have to have a permanent fix, not a one- or two-year stopgap. Somebody has got to take the bumps and learn the spot. Hopefully, last year was that bump and Ced steps up.

4— If Hue plans on getting a QB this year (and I think he has to, his leash is supposed to be long, but I don't think they're going to give him a few years of just playing backup QBs), his most important position is LT. A rookie QB is going to get beat up. The only thing that will keep him from getting Couch'ed is Thomas.

Your #1, 2, and 3 all are hoping on some magical turnaround at LT by Ced.  I am hoping for that, too, but what I saw when he was out there...and after he was benched...gives me very little reason for optimism.

The Browns could draft Ramcyzk or Robinson with their #12 pick and develop their line for years to come as they would develop together.  I don't think Thomas will play beyond his contract.  As the #3 overall pick years ago (before the rookie wage scale), he surely won't be needing for money.  

I think if gives them a way to get their QB for at least a year for next to nothing.  Here is how the QB issue would play out:

In each scenario:  the acquisition of AJM for no draft picks allows them to go BPA at #1, #12, and #33.  Without him, they will likely be taking or trading for a QB with one of those picks.  So, you already have one more top 50 player with this deal.  

AJM struggles:  They would select the QB out of UCLA or USC...some have those two as highly rated as prospects as Andrew Luck was his senior season.  Browns out $750K

AJM plays well, but the team has more holes to fill:  They have him one more season on peanuts and can sign some FAs as well as continue to develop all their draft picks.

AJM looks really good: You don't have to draft a QB at all and you can then sign him to a long-term contract and you finally have your franchise QB.

A lot of folks keep saying:  "AJM was a 5th rounder" or "why didn't anyone else take him if he was so good".  I will offer this:  his shoulder injury gave him what physicians call a "dead arm".  He had lost a lot of strength in his arm from injury that limited his downfield throws but he was able to compete and win two consecutive NCAA Championships.  He was told he would likely be a 2nd or 3rd round selection.  He fell because of his injury.  

Fast forward to where he is today and he had a QB rating of 97 in his only three starts in the league.  Compare that to even what Derek Carr did when he started.

I think Hue is smart enough to know he can win with McCarron.  The question is:  will the Bengals want to help him unless it tremendously benefits them as well?  I think this odd proposal can do just that. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Crazy Idea with the Browns??? - SHRacerX - 04-11-2017, 11:11 AM
RE: Crazy Idea with the Browns??? - Benton - 04-11-2017, 11:56 AM
RE: Crazy Idea with the Browns??? - SHRacerX - 04-11-2017, 01:38 PM
RE: Crazy Idea with the Browns??? - Benton - 04-11-2017, 02:25 PM
RE: Crazy Idea with the Browns??? - Au165 - 04-11-2017, 04:37 PM