Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Constituents yell “You lie!” at Rep. Joe Wilson during South Carolina town hall
(04-11-2017, 11:30 PM)Benton Wrote: i agree with exercising free speech. And dealing out a dose of their own medicine.

on the other hand, I've been to dozens of town hall meetings oger the years. Normally, its the rep, his aide, one or two media, a couple local officials and maybe a half dozen people normally considered conspiracy theorists. The whole showing up and voicing your displeasure is more of a new thing in a lot of places. But my concern is, reps dont have to do these. They can have less interaction with constituents, and likely will, if all they do is show up and get heckled.

Which is what has happened in my district. Goodlatte hasn't had a town hall in at least three years. There is someone in town, here, that has a cardboard cut-out of him that is referred to as "Flat Bob" that makes appearances at events where you would typically see your district's representative. Goodlatte just tends to ignore our city a lot, anyway, even though he has an office here because he hasn't been winning it in elections. Or maybe it's his ignoring us that is the cause for him losing the city? Either way, the city is blue and he doesn't come around much.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Constituents yell “You lie!” at Rep. Joe Wilson during South Carolina town hall - Belsnickel - 04-12-2017, 10:09 AM