Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Trump Is Giving This Country Its Identity Back
(04-19-2017, 09:04 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: I know people have complained about defense spending. The issue here is that people are trying to criticize Trumps use of Tomahawk missles like it's some "new" thing. 

I am one who criticizes defense spending loudly and often. The recent use of the tomahawk cruise missiles is a great example of the issues with our defense budget, and with the quote I was responding to in particular. For reference:

(04-18-2017, 04:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: “Liberals, it has been said, are generous with other peoples' money, except when it comes to questions of national survival when they prefer to be generous with other peoples' freedom and security.”

- William F. Buckley

The reason my response was directly related to this was because the cruise missile attack in Syria did not have to do with our national survival. It was the antithesis of "America First." This is the problem with acting like the world's police force. We utilize our expenditures to take care of internal matters of sovereign nations over taking care of our own. If the international community rose up to put their collective foot down on Assad, then I can get behind that a little bit (I'm still against war 99.99999% of the time). But it is not our place to get involved in such a way individually when we have so many problems at home.

So really, my critical statements have less to do about the use of the missiles specifically, but in a more general sense about the defense expenditures that do not benefit our own country as much as that money being spent domestically could have.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump Is Giving This Country Its Identity Back - Belsnickel - 04-19-2017, 09:24 AM