Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAO Weighs In On “Countering Violent Extremism”
(04-23-2017, 06:48 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Thanks - this was pretty much how I understood it, though something led me to believe the GAO had some sort of power over how money was spent, at least in some regard. Maybe if an impropriety was discovered, then a halt in that spending could be implemented. Sorry that I can't recall how I got that impression. 

If only we had a wise old Grandparent that could effect an intervention on Congress when needed  Ninja

The GAO can have that authority if it is granted such by statute. For example, if a law is passed that focuses GAO attention on a program, Congress could, in theory, extend authority to the GAO. But overall, the GAO investigates, reports, and advises, but they don't have any authority to act.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAO Weighs In On “Countering Violent Extremism” - Belsnickel - 04-23-2017, 06:52 PM