Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Are Content With Bengals LBs As Is Going Into Draft
(04-24-2017, 12:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Burfict has only missed significant time due to injury twice in 5 seasons, played 16 games twice, and only missed 2 games due to injury last year. I think it's a bit soon to start calling him an injury liability. I don't think his weight affected him last year, it was just something for people to complain about during a lost season. Yes Minter was signed to a 1 year deal, but we could (a) resign him next year and if not (b) sign someone else or draft someone then. 

I'm not at all confident in a 4th round pick to eventually become the full-time replacement at MLB. May as well roll with Minter and see what happens. If all else fails, take the position more seriously (than a 4th rounder) next year. Mind you, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a guy in the 4th round, but I just don't see it as a dire need. A 4th round rookie isn't going to be a good substitute for Burfict this year...or anyone else.

I never said you can't rely on him to stay healthy for 16 games or that he was an injury liability, I said you can't rely on him to play 16 games. He is...

1 Concussion away from missing large amounts of time.
1 Dirty hit away from missing large amounts of time on suspension.
1 Offseason of overeating/underworking again away from being ineffective for large amounts of time.

Of course mixed in with the normal NFL player's everyday risk of season ending injury that's unavoidable, but only one of those three things I mentioned is injury-related. Burfict is a great LB, but there's a lot of things to hesitate over. He's also in his contract year, so he'll be a FA next season. Does another team offer him a bajillion dollar contract that the Bengals won't match?

You go into the next offseason with Burfict and Minter both FAs, and you're going to see a repeat of this offseason with Whitworth and Zeitler both leaving. Then the Bengals will be left with a LB group of PJ Dawson, Vincent Rey, and Nick Vigil. No thanks.

I am 100% on board that a 4th round rook isn't going to be a good substitute for Burfict this year, or anyone else. So if you get them this year, it's highly unlikely the Bengals keep both Burfict and Minter. Hopefully the rookie season will give that LB draft pick time to be ready for 2018. Otherwise in the 2018 draft you'll HAVE to take a LB, and you'll have the same rookie problem.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Many Are Content With Bengals LBs As Is Going Into Draft - TheLeonardLeap - 04-24-2017, 02:24 PM