Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Are Content With Bengals LBs As Is Going Into Draft
(04-24-2017, 02:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I never said you can't rely on him to stay healthy for 16 games or that he was an injury liability, I said you can't rely on him to play 16 games. He is...

1 Concussion away from missing large amounts of time.
1 Dirty hit away from missing large amounts of time on suspension.
1 Offseason of overeating/underworking again away from being ineffective for large amounts of time.

Of course mixed in with the normal NFL player's everyday risk of season ending injury that's unavoidable, but only one of those three things I mentioned is injury-related. Burfict is a great LB, but there's a lot of things to hesitate over. He's also in his contract year, so he'll be a FA next season. Does another team offer him a bajillion dollar contract that the Bengals won't match?

You go into the next offseason with Burfict and Minter both FAs, and you're going to see a repeat of this offseason with Whitworth and Zeitler both leaving. Then the Bengals will be left with a LB group of PJ Dawson, Vincent Rey, and Nick Vigil. No thanks.

I am 100% on board that a 4th round rook isn't going to be a good substitute for Burfict this year, or anyone else. So if you get them this year, it's highly unlikely the Bengals keep both Burfict and Minter. Hopefully the rookie season will give that LB draft pick time to be ready for 2018. Otherwise in the 2018 draft you'll HAVE to take a LB, and you'll have the same rookie problem.

You raise some really good points and some stuff I disagree with.

1. The concussions were and I guess still are a concern...but I feel better about Burfict's health after last year, and it seems like concussions were only a problem for one year. Outside of that year, it has been a non-issue. I'm starting to think it was a blip on the radar there. I was also encouraged last year by Burfict toning down the dirty play. Tbh, I think the main issue for Burfict was hurting Steelers players. The league wouldn't stand for that. Other than 2015, the league has left Burfict alone. He just can't be taking out the 3 B's...clean hits or not.

2. I think Burfict's dirty reputation will help us with contract negotiations to an extent. Plus even though I do think Burfict is capable of staying healthy, I'm sure teams will look at how he missed 22 games over the last 3 seasons. At the very least, you have to admit that Burfict wasn't able to prove himself any further over that span. If anything, his stock has gone down a bit since he signed that very reasonable 4 year/19 million contract. Obviously he's not going to sign for that exact number again, but I think his next contract will be remain fair and make it easy for the Bengals to retain him. Plus the dude looks at Marv like a father figure. I think he loves being a Bengal.

3. You seem unimpressed by Vigil and Dawson (both 3rd round picks), but you want a 4th rounder for insurance? I just don't get that. Vigil and Dawson haven't had much opportunity to play yet with the guys ahead of them and how the Bengals use LB's...so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss those guys. Now do I want both of those guys in the starting lineup next year? Probably not, but I don't see how a 4th rounder will make you feel any safer about 2018. 

4. I'd like to see a slightly slimmer Burfict, but I think you're at least slightly overstating that problem. I don't think Burfict is going to eat his way out of the league. For all we know, that's the weight coaches wanted him at. Marv has always liked his LB's big for some reason. He's living in the past there, IMO.

The reasons I say we should roll with what we have are:

(a) It's more likely than not that we'll be able to retain both Burfict and Minter with reasonable offers.
(b) drafting a 1st round LB likely means we automatically let go of at least one of these guys. Maybe Burfict. No thanks.
[c) I'm okay with drafting a 4th rounder, but with our draft history with LB's, I see that as an inconsequential move.
(d) Even if by some nightmare scenario we lose both Burfict and Minter, this team has never been shy about signing a FA LB or 2. They're much cheaper than FA o-linemen.

TL/DR: I don't mind drafting a LB in the mid-rounds, but I don't think it's going to make losing Burfict and/or Minter sting any less...should that happen.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Many Are Content With Bengals LBs As Is Going Into Draft - Shake n Blake - 04-25-2017, 12:42 PM