Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades!
I gave it higher grade, but couldn't give the popular A grade a lot of people did.

I agree on the injuries. This is one of our more risky drafts in years and you'd think the team would have learned from the Ogbuehi pick, but they seem to believe he'll come around after a disastrous sophomore campaign. Maybe he will, but look at what he did to the whole season last year, and he goes and ends last year on IR. Ogbuehi has missed both training camps from injury and so far he's been a wasted pick where we could have gotten 2 good years out of someone else.

In looking back to the Dennard pick 4 years ago he was a guy who wasn't going to play much for awhile and we could have selected someone who actually started and would have contribute so much in those 4 years. Ross needs to stay healthy or he's simply going to be a wasted top 10 pick.

I would have done many things differently in this draft. I was watching the draft with a Bears fan friend on mine and when we got to the 8th pick and Carolina was on the board, I said, "If Allen is still there the Bengals are going to run to the podium with his name on their card, or maybe they take Hooker to replace what Reggie Nelson brought to the defense. Didn't imagine either of these guys being there." Ross was no where in the conversation at the 9th pick.

Ross simply was not the best player available at #9. It was a need for outside speed that drove this pick so much that they ignored his injury history and I viewed the pick as a "draft for a need over proven talent" pick. This reminded me most of the 90s draft philosophy of reaching for need and hoping for the best.

When the 2nd round started I was ecstatic that Lamp was still on the board and was hoping we'd try to trade up and grab him. He'd be an immediate upgrade over Bodine or would have held down the RG spot for years to come.

I did like that the team recognized that they could traded down and still get Mixon. Too bad they didn't see that for the Ross pick cause they likely could have traded down quite a bit and still got him. His injury history crossed him off several team's boards according to one of the talking heads on NFLN.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - Benton - 04-30-2017, 09:56 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BengalChris - 04-30-2017, 10:52 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - 3wt - 05-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 12:26 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - CJD - 05-01-2017, 10:43 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - J24 - 05-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 11:29 PM