Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades!
(05-01-2017, 05:04 PM)Benton Wrote: I think the weak crop of OL, QB & WR resulted in an early panic mode for some teams. In a normal year, even with a weaker-than-usual QB group, Trubisky doesn't go 2 and Maholmes 10. I was surprised Davis went 5, I didn't think he was that close to Williams. To me, there weren't a lot of safe offensive picks in the first round and Trubisky, Maholmes and Davis — along with Ross — wouldn't have happened in a normal year. Hooker, Allen and Barnett were pretty all pretty surprising in that they're probably safer picks and went after some offensive gambles.

I look at it differently...as far as WRs (QBs always get overdrafted). I think there were some elite talents at the WR position and they were probably more highly rated than some of these guys that slipped down. I don't think WR was a huge need for the Titans or Chargers, but they pounced. It's all about perception though. You don't like the guys we took (particularly Ross) so you're more inclined to believe it was somehow a reach. I liked the pick, so I'm going to think people misjudged the talent of those who slipped much further down. 

Some of those guys that were mocked to us on a regular basis damn near slipped out of the round entirely. Maybe you overrated these prospects and underrated Ross? 3 teams seemed to think the top 3 WRs were among the best prospects in the draft. I find it more likely this is the case rather than 3 teams panicked and reached for WRs. 

Fwiw, many mocks had Ross going to us at 9 or somewhere in the top 15. Not that mocks are always right, because they almost always wind up being way off with certain players. They're best used as a frame of reference taken with a grain of salt. Too many people use them as evidence that certain teams "reached" or got a "steal" though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - Benton - 04-30-2017, 09:56 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - Shake n Blake - 05-01-2017, 05:33 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - 3wt - 05-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 12:26 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - CJD - 05-01-2017, 10:43 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - J24 - 05-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 11:29 PM