Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EPA Scientific Advisory Board Shakeup
(05-09-2017, 07:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think you may underestimate the stewardship of some businesses. For instance I know an ad-hoc Econ Professor whose daytime job is working for one of the large cell phone service providers. He was assigned the project manager of a research project that looked for ways to reduce texting and driving.

He said it conflicted with his usual practice; as the goal was not to maximize profits.

I can provide numerous other examples of where big industry cut into their profit margin to do the "right thing". I think some of us are just too cynical.  

Not to be cynical, but there are numerous reasons your friend would be assigned said project. Public good will would be a major one, but to say it against their profit interests seems false. Very few cell phone plans charge per txt msg currently. In the end, aside from limiting a very dangerous activity which I absolutely abhor and frequently yell at people for while riding my 2 wheel vehicles; they are lessening network loads.

I agree with you that industry needs to be at the table as you described above. But, the way I read the OP was that scientists were being replaced by industry professionals.

The brain drain of institutional knowledge away from the EPA, state dept and countless other depts is scary. I certainly don't believe it will last, but it will take time to repair.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: EPA Scientific Advisory Board Shakeup - Vas Deferens - 05-09-2017, 08:15 PM