Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EPA Scientific Advisory Board Shakeup
(05-09-2017, 08:15 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Not to be cynical, but there are numerous reasons your friend would be assigned said project.   Public good will would be a major one, but to say it against their profit interests seems false.  Very few cell phone plans charge per txt msg currently.  In the end, aside from limiting a very dangerous activity which I absolutely abhor and frequently yell at people for while riding my 2 wheel vehicles; they are lessening network loads.  

I agree with you that industry needs to be at the table as you described above.  But, the way I read the OP was that scientists were being replaced by industry professionals.  

The brain drain of institutional knowledge away from the EPA, state dept and countless other depts is scary.  I certainly don't believe it will last, but it will take time to repair.

I can only go by what he said, but his position was always to advise management how to make the most money. He absolutely hated the project because it went against everything he was schooled and trained to do. There was no profit in it and it was costing them money to conduct the research/ develop plans. The "problem" was too many people were getting into accidents while texting and driving.

I need to earn what ever certification that is required that when I see you texting while driving, I can stop you, snatch your phone from your hands, and throw it down the nearest drain.  

As to the rest: I agree there should be voices from all different walks on panels such as these.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: EPA Scientific Advisory Board Shakeup - bfine32 - 05-09-2017, 10:08 PM