Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torch wielding protestors yell Nazi slogans as they defend Confederate statue
(05-16-2017, 12:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There has been a large movement from the citizens seeking to have the statue removed and the park renamed because of the slavery issue. I'll provide a little more background on this since I'm the most local one to this issue (and my wife and I talked about this at length last night).

The park and the statue were two gifts by Paul McIntire, who gave many things to Charlottesville. http://www.charlottesville.org/departments-and-services/departments-h-z/neighborhood-development-services/historic-preservation-and-design-review/historic-resources-committee/transit-station-exhibits/paul-mcintire-s-gifts-to-charlottesville

The Lee and Jackson statues are actually good pieces of art, and have been noted for the horses in particular. In truth, if you really want to talk about a problematic statue there is the one of that is in the middle of a street that is the Lewis, Clark, and Sacajawea monument. Yes, we want to be proud of them as they are locals, but the cowering indigenous female provides a very problematic image if we are actually looking at the works in this way. Of course, there isn't a strong contingent of indigenous people in the city (and even if there were, Virginia tribes can't get federal recognition) so no one is raising a fuss about it.

Honestly, there are a lot of other racial issues in the city. There has been some serious gentrification that has gone on, issues with low-income housing, etc. But, some of the more well-to-do members of the community are using this as a token battle against the injustices faced by minorities instead of even discussing how the former location of the slave auction block downtown has only a plaque in the ground.

Thanks Bels.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Torch wielding protestors yell Nazi slogans as they defend Confederate statue - Dill - 05-16-2017, 04:44 PM