Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids Protest thier own Graduation
(05-21-2017, 04:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm okay with it. I was not happy with the way DeVos was treated when she was speaking somewhere. The ceremony is an important one and the booing ruins the moment. Turning their backs to the speaker or walking out is a protest move that is acceptable in that situation to me.

This is basically how I look at it. No major disruption and their 'statement' was made. 

(05-21-2017, 06:41 PM)Dill Wrote: Personal choice, I guess. I would not have done it.

I don't like normalizing the Trump regime. And walking out is "resistance." I guess.

But NOT LISTENING is almost always bad.

People should protest the invite--there are plenty of good grounds for that as the Pence/Trump ticket is no friend to learning--or criticize Pence afterwards in the student paper's forum. If they were going to walk out, they should not have shown up. That would have sent a signal to the administration. With them lies the responsibility for the poor choice.

Given Pence's record as governor of Indiana on education, economy, women's rights and other issues, I can understand why a politically active college student in Indiana might become motivated to protest, given the opportunity such as this. Maybe, just maybe these particular students had already heard enough from him. On this I can only guess though. I am thankful that it was done in a quiet and peaceful manner. Having said that, I do agree that listening to him might help them better understand what his future policies may be.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kids Protest thier own Graduation - wildcats forever - 05-21-2017, 11:45 PM