Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Since 2005 the Bengals haven't had this on defense
(06-01-2017, 06:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Your PFF was from 2015.  Here is what he was ranked (5th) in 2016 and what was said about his coverage:

5. Kevin Minter, Arizona Cardinals (81.0)

Another player with a track record of poor play prior to the 2016 season, Minter had an interesting season in which he had five excellent games paired with four really bad games. In the end, he came out with an above-average overall grade with his play in coverage being the best. If Minter is able to continue flashing those great games and reduce his number of poor games, a few of them marred by several missed tackles (missed 20 in 2016), the former LSU Tiger has potential to become a solid every down LB.

I know it was from 2015. That's why I put (2015) next to it.  Mellow

I was unable to find a PFF link from 2016, trust me I tried. I did link the article from the Cardinals fansite, which called him inconsistent in coverage in 2016, which is the same thing PFF says in a nutshell. If you want to be positive, you can say it was a sign of progress. The few great games could also be a fluke. Kinda odd that he would grade great in some games and terrible in others. Makes me wonder why. I've heard many say that coaches game planned to help Minter in this area. Synric is probably right about zone/man.

Fwiw, I'm not trying to bash Minter to death. I liked the signing and still do. He's young, capable of calling out plays, and while not quite fast in any way, he's certainly an upgrade from washed up Maualuga (who is still a free agent BTW) in that department. I just know he's probably not going to be a flawless player. Coverage is a question mark at best, and missed tackles were mentioned more than anything.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Since 2005 the Bengals haven't had this on defense - Shake n Blake - 06-01-2017, 11:21 AM