Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Since 2005 the Bengals haven't had this on defense
(05-29-2017, 01:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I was looking at the Bengals draft picks on defense since 2005.
The Dennards,Sands,Atkins, Ilokas and so forth
It's going on 12 years since O'Dell Thurman that the Bengals had a DROY candidate
I'm talking a real impact player difference maker on defense
Burfict had a very nice rookie season but no rookie since even him has really been able
To come out of the gate on fire (he was undrafted I know)
Every drafted rookie on defense that was selected before rd  5 other than Thurman
That ended up a starter took a couple years to really find himself
We need a rookie on defense to really put a spark in the lineup
Whether it be Wilis or Lawson it don't matter
On offense it's been different .Green and Dalton came out guns blazing such as Hill.
But this team needs a real game changer on defense
Not 3 years from now or next year
NOW!!
look at that lb from the Falcons...huge impact player
It's time

# 1...I think the 2005 team is over rated. You would think we won the Super Bowl the way fans talk. We squeaked out a win early December by the skin of our teeth against Steelers, but Steelers took 2 out of 3 and THEY went on to win Super Bowl.   

# 2....I certainly don't see Defense as the Bengals problem. Bengals went to 6 play-offs in last 8 seasons mostly due to their defense holding it together as the offense would go 1, 2, 3, kick.   Defense put us in play-offs in 2012 win over Steelers. Defense was only reason we were in the last play-off game to take the late lead. If Hill doesn't cough up the ball, huge mistake, we are no longer talking about no play-off wins in 26 years, over half of the Bengals 50 year Anniversary. 

# 3....Thurman is more of a bad news story.  Pollack we lost to injury. Thurman we lost to stupidity. Losing both hurt. Thurman, Henry, Stanley Wilson fall into the WHAT IF bucket.   Talent wasted on the night club strippers, booze and drugs, just a waste. ...Thurman IS NOT a WE NEED MORE PLAYERS LIKE HIM story.  Just the opposite. 

# 4.....We go into 2017 with Atkins and Dunlap. We had nothing like them in 2005.  I like that they kept Kirky at CB.  We should be one of the better defenses in the NFL.   The huge problem going into 2017 is The Offensive Line with Whitworth and Zeitler gone.  Other than bringing Andre Smith back, we really didn't address it in off season.  We didn't draft Offensive Line as we needed to in 3rd, 4th rounds as we took extra WR and a kicker. We took one offensive lineman in almost the 6th round with our 8th pick.  That could be a huge mistake. Still, we have the top pick tackles from 2015 draft. We do have Smith back.  I'm hoping the undrafted Texas O Lineman who is a 4 year starter and can bench press more than anybody in draft, I'm hoping he is a Burfict type steal after the draft. .....If they can coach up the O Line this summer, we can win.  We have the defense and passing and running and our BLOCKING will make or break our season.  

# 5 and last....I'ld rather have a good long career player than rookie of the year.  Was Thurman even rookie of the year in the NFL ?  No, that went to Brian Urlacher.  Again, fans thinking we won Super Bowl in 2005 and Thurman was D rookie of year.  Never Happened. ....I'll take the longer careers of Atkins and Dunlap and Maualuga we just lost over the one year and done Thurman.   On Defense, it helps to be a veteran. Not a rookie but a seasoned Pro, not some dude out of college. Experience on Defense is Huge.  Just watch top quarterbacks pick apart rookies all game long.  I was worried about losing Kirky and Pacman legal trouble and only having the 2 unproven college boys at CB.  Keeping Kirk a good move.   The free agent linebacker should help.  I think we are fine on defense and can be a great defense in 2017.   If this team can BLOCK so we can use all these finesse players on offense, score some and not keep the D on the field all game......WE have a good D,  if the O doesn't go 1, 2, 3, kick all game due to no Blocking.   You win with defense, but the best defense is a good offense, and the best offense is the ones that line up and block people off the line of scrimmage as LOmbardi, Parcells teams and days of Munoz and Montoya. ..........I think we have a very good D, if we can Block, Score, and eat some Clock. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Since 2005 the Bengals haven't had this on defense - kevin - 06-04-2017, 12:38 PM